Invisalign is a system of clear, removable aligners that gradually shifts the teeth into a straighter configuration. As an alternative to metal braces, the system involves wearing a series of custom-made, transparent aligners over the teeth.
The aligners are made of a clear, plastic material and can be removed at any time. Invisalign is a great option for patients who are hesitant to wear traditional metal braces because they simply don't want metal brackets on their teeth.
Here is a bit of information about Invisalign to help you better understand this orthodontic option.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign is a system of aligners made of rigid plastic. The aligners are designed to gradually move your teeth into the right position.
The aligning trays are custom-made for you using a mold or impression of your mouth. The devices are worn over your teeth throughout the day, every day. To allow your treatment to progress as planned, you should never leave the trays out of your mouth for more than a couple of hours daily.
You will need to wear each aligner set for about two weeks before they can be replaced with the next set in your treatment plan. This process will continue until your teeth have been moved into their final new positions.
Once treatment is done, your dentist or orthodontist will provide you with a post-treatment care plan. This will include instructions on how to maintain the changes made by the aligners and may incorporate the use of a retainer.
What are the Benefits of Invisalign?
Invisalign aligners are clear and removable, so they don't interfere with your daily life. The benefits of Invisalign include:
- Easy removability. The trays can be taken out of the mouth with the assistance of a dental professional.
- Transparency. The aligners are difficult to see in the mouth so they offer discretion during your treatment.
- Lack of brackets, wires, or bands. There are no cumbersome parts on display in your mouth.
- Metal-free parts that are unlikely to cause allergic reactions. Invisalign trays are made completely of plastic.
- Easy maintenance. The trays can be washed and rinsed regularly without much effort.
- Quick treatment time. Treatment with aligners is usually shorter than treatment with conventional braces.
- The ability to eat normally. Aligners can be removed during mealtimes.
- Easy access to teeth during brushing and flossing. Due to the removability of the trays, you maintain access to your teeth for brushing and flossing.
To learn more about clear plastic aligners, schedule a consultation with an orthodontist in your local area.Share