Not everyone is able to get needed orthodontic care as a teenager. If you are an adult and still regret not getting braces, it's never too late to get your smile straighter. As an adult, you might be drawn to a particular way of straightening that is less invasive or visible. Read to find out if Invisalign is right for you as an adult.
Invisalign Is Different
You probably already know what traditional braces look like as you've seen them on others. Brackets on the front surface of the teeth are connected to each other with wires that are periodically tightened to gradually bring teeth into proper alignment. Traditional orthodontic devices are regarded as a temporarily uncomfortable and unsightly way to eventually have nice straight teeth.
Invisalign, however, is very different. You can remove an Invisalign device for cleaning and eating, which automatically makes things easier for the wearer. These devices appear as clear plastic trays that fit perfectly over your existing teeth. One tray per top and one per bottom. While they are not as obvious as traditional braces, others may be able to see the Invisalign on your teeth when you are wearing them. And you do have to wear them a minimum amount of time each day. Here is what else you should know about Invisalign before you make your braces decision:
- Your Invisalign device is custom-made for your teeth and you will be wearing them for about 22 hours a day. That means you will only remove them when you eat and when you brush your teeth.
- As time goes on, a new Invisalign tray is sent to you on a regular basis. Each time, the device progressively brings your teeth together gradually, just as traditional braces do.
- In some cases, Invisalign trays can be slightly more expensive than traditional braces. That being said, the ease of use and the low-key appearance can be especially attractive to adults who want straighter teeth.
- No unusual cleaning is needed with Invisalign. You brush and care for your teeth as usual and the device can be rinsed in the sink. That can eliminate the sometimes darker appearance of teeth after traditional braces are removed.
- As a bonus, you can continue to see your dentist for regular cleanings but you can skip those visits to get your braces tightened because that is happening each time you replace the tray. Trays are sent directly to your home so no need to even leave your home.
Talk to your dentist about Invisalign today.Share